Thursday, August 28, 2008

And so our summer ends...

Despite knitting furiously over the last few days, it is highly unlikely that Gruff's birthday socks will be ready. Boooo.... I managed to finish one last night but when we had a fitting, the sock turned out far too tight and small. Damn you Jaywalkers!! As chopping and filing Gruff's feet down to size ugly step-sister styley is out of the question, I had to grit my teeth and rip it back down to the ankle where I went up 2 needle sizes up. Grrrrr...

So to ensure that Gruff had at least one handmade present, I whipped this up after modifying instructions from this fab site.

It's a bag for a vintage microphone that Gruff carries around to recordings. I hope it bloody fits - I haven't been able to check as said mic is at Gruff's work. Pauline had this fabric in her stash and I was compelled to track it down.


Found it on Kittycraft where I've been spending far too much money.

Have also found some great sewing blogs and Cassie introduced me to Burdastyle which is the sewing equivalent of Ravelry and facebook - I have already 'queued' several projects - so many projects, far too little time!

My Trafalgar square street performance turned out to be an amazing experience.

I felt especially smug and virtuous in a 'look-how-committed-i-am-to-my-art" way when the heavens decided to piss down on us during rehearsals and various performances. The fact that our dressing room was an undisguised shipping container for over 20 of us didn't help matters either. What did redeem it all was watching the opening ceremony of the Olympic games on the massive screen they had in the square, it completely blew us away - we were just so in awe and speechless for the first hour before the tedious segment when the teams came out. It felt good to be part of it all in our own little way. You can see more photos here - mostly of the awesome East-West circus troupe that came after us.

1 comment:

Ginger Lucy said...

Aw, shame I didn't get to see your performance, I bet you made a fantastic Earth!

I wish we could knit glass slippers, but can you imagine having to frog them? I bet they'd shatter...