Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hooking & Felting


To all you non-crafters out there - this is nothing seedy. Gail & I went to a crotchet workshop at Fabrications which was run by the talented Rachel Matthews who has written some great books about twisting fibres.

Concentrating & absorbing information was hard with a hangover and I felt a little disabled. Just using one tool and one main hand felt strange and abnormal. It's a bit like going from skiing to snowboarding, the terrain's (yarn's) the same but you have less equipment and more liberty to 'free-form'. Knitting is more regimented, technical and perhaps austere whereas crotcheting feels more wanton. Hmmm,... haven't really got a preference and I did wonder whilst I was struggling why I was putting myself through this when I've already got an knitting obsession. Seems slightly sadistic! I am a little smitten with being able to create alien-like, oddly-shaped items of woolly blobs see my jellyfish like thing above.

In preparation for the wedding this Saturday, I have also been felting with the much loved Yorkshire Aran Tweed.... not sure how it's supposed to look but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Other more mundane news - I have handed in my notice! Har har!!!.... Will miss my 14th floor office and the lovely view of the London Eye that twinkles in the sun. But I feel relieved so that's definitely a sign that it's the right decision. It's a bit of a shame as I'm getting along with the girl I previously posted about. We have been getting along recently i.e. she gave me an easter egg - and yes, chocolate is the surest way into my affections.

Also got offered a job in Hong Kong which meant a lot of agonising navel-gazing and thinking about whether to leave this smelly old town and future life-directions. I've been free-forming too much without any coherent overall vision. It might be nice to be back in Asia and the post-holiday blues inducing a bit of london fatigue has kicked in. Guess I have to sit down and write out a proper life-pattern to follow. Hmmmm,....

2 comments:

Flibbertygibbet said...

Ah, that's what you meant by the jellyfish! I seriously thought it looked like a map of Africa...

Helen said...

Hong Kong! Noooooo! Smelly is good :)